I can see stats on how people find this page. A lot of you find this page looking for information about the brutal St. Patrick’s Day attack on our popular Traverse City Schools band director, Peter Deneen. Deneen was sharing in the festivities with his bagpipes group on St. Patrick’s Day. He was hurt in an unprovoked attack by a St. Patrick’s Day reveler. Deneen’s injuries are severe.
Here’s what we know right now:
- As of this writing, no charges have been filed.
- As of this writing, no charges have been announced as forthcoming.
- It has been more than three weeks since St. Patrick’s Day.
- There’s a video. Deneen was not an aggressor like the police are claiming.
- There are witnesses that the police have not interviewed.
- The suspect is in his mid-20s.
- The suspect has a criminal history.
If justice can’t (or won’t) be done in this case, who’s going to explain that to this suspect’s next victim? How do we, the powerless members of the public, know when the local law enforcement community thinks it’s okay for people to beat us up without recourse? If the Grand Traverse County Prosecutor can’t do any better than this, should he really be a judge?
First they came for the bagpipers…and I did not speak out, because I was not a bagpiper…