Here’s the document dump on ousted jail captain Todd Ritter. You don’t need Facebook to read it.
Here are the highlights. They’re all allegations.
- The whistleblowers met at GT Pie and Minervas to talk about their concerns. That’s where business goes down for the GT Sheriff’s Office.
- Special treatment for some female inmates to clean Ritter’s office unsupervised
- Rumors of relationships with inmates
- Using the jail suburban for personal use (They see me rollin’)
- An inmate was speaking up about Ritter’s personal relationship with a jail inmate. She stopped after Ritter spoke to her
- A woman described being Ritter’s “side kick”
- Giving an inmate with a discipline history a trustee position
- Letting an inmate complete their Kalkaska sentence in GT despite overcrowding
- Smoking marijuana
- Kissing a person on probation in the government center (romantic setting if ever there was one)
- Giving himself male and female anatomy lessons using his government-issued cell phone
What I found interesting in the report is that the investigators never ask Ritter point blank if he did the things he’s accused of. Why wouldn’t you ask that question? To avoid having to charge him because you can pretend you don’t know the answer? Seriously, what would the reason be to not ask Ritter if this stuff is all true? For some reason the investigators didn’t ask and didn’t want to ask that question. What would the reason be except to protect Ritter in some way?
Another interesting point is that the person who sent the first email didn’t send it until the new undersheriff was appointed. Perhaps they were not comfortable making the report to Alger?